Newbie with Questions re: HEAL and PC resting

I know that a single target is an automatic success, but with regard to “Heal - multiple targets”, is there a ranged AOE? Also, the number of people affected, is that based on site or range?
To be clear, the number of disadvantage dice is based on number of people to be healed, correct?

Also, since spell casting is based on feats that act like 5e Cantrips, do PCs ever need to rest?
If HP can be healed over turns of Heal spell from an ally, does that mean that HP is really only an issue in combat?

Thanks,

Sal

So a couple things.

1. You can heal to full HP after 10 minutes of rest
    • Stamina is a better description for HP in many ways
  2. There are multiple ways to do AoE which are all covered in the Combat Chapter. Your max range that you can reach with your attribute is also detailed there (for non-physical = 1-3: 25’ / 4-6: 50’ / 7+: 75’)
  3. Disadvantage is calculated based on what type of AoE you are doing.
    • Ranged multi-target = Disadvantage is the number of targets
    • Cube multi-target = Disadvantage is 1 per 5’ length of one side (15’ cube is 3 disadvantage)
    • Line multi-target = Disadvantage per line segment, lines are 5’ wide, 10’ long, & 10’ tall

http://www.openlegendrpg.com/core-rules/07-combat

scroll down to Major Actions, then “Multi-targeting”

While I appreciate what you’ve said regarding multi, this pertains to attacks, and I am wondering if it is the same with targeting multiples for a Heal. Let’s use my rolled PC as an example.

Hera has Creation 4; Heal (Boon Focus - Tier 1)
If she wants to “cast” Heal on herself AND 2 targets that are 10’ away from her, she would roll:
1d20 + 3d10 (keep 1) for the success roll
and 1d4 for hp recovered.
Would I add 2x disadvantage dice for the two targets or 3x dis dice for a cube of 15’?

Ha! One more thing…what is the CR she is rolling against in the first place?
As a GM in training in this system, coming from 5e, I’m a little lost.

the multi-targetting is both for attacks and for boons, no different.

if you are Creation 4, and you are ranged multi-targetting 2 others including yourself, then yes you roll:

1d20 + 3d10 (keep lowest 1)
Based on what you rolled determines what you roll for HP recovered.

Since you have a score of 4, the max PL you can get is PL 4

The CR (challenge rating) for a boon is 10 + 2xPL

PL 1 = CR 12 (1d4!! hp recovered)
PL 2 = CR 14 (1d6!! hp recovered)
PL 3 = CR 16 (1d8!! hp recovered)
PL 4 = CR 18 (1d10!! hp recovered)

The boon Heal lists what it does at each PL.

For boons, you don’t roll against a Cr, yhou roll to find out what the Power Level of your invoking heal is based on teh CRs above.

If you were all grouped up together, then you could roll with only 2 disadvantage, b/c you could all occupy a 10’ cube.

this information is also all provided in the Combat Chapter if you scroll down to the Major Action section, and then “Invoke a Boon”

Also, you can get slightly faster answers at the Discord, where people are usually always around.

no worries, everyone is there at one point in time. Lots of people that can help you in discord and here on the forums.

So, why is it PL4 for Heal when I only have Tier 1 for Boon Focus? Is power Level always determined by the attribute? So, based on the Boon CR, if she chose a lower PL, say 2, she’d have more of a chance of success but heal less. What happens to the 2 adv dice to her initial Heal roll when assigning dis dice because of multiples?

Boon focus is completely different. I wasn’t even talking as if you have that.

If you have an Attribute, you have all the boons and banes associated with that Attribute by default. The only limits to what you can access are based on what you choose b/c of your character backstory or what the GM feels is appropriate for your character.

Boon Focus allows you to Auto-Succeed at the highest PL you have access to when you single Target (so a 1d10!! healing).

You gain Advantage 2 when you are rolling otherwise. This means in the first example, if you are targetting 3 people, then you actually only have disadvantage 1.

3 Disadvantage from multi-targetting, 2 Advantage from Boon Focus = 1 disadvantage

have you seen this:

2 Likes

"If you have an Attribute, you have all the boons and banes associated with that Attribute by default. The only limits to what you can access are based on what you choose b/c of your character backstory or what the GM feels is appropriate for your character.

Boon Focus allows you to Auto-Succeed at the highest PL you have access to when you single Target (so a 1d10!! healing)."

WTH? So confused…so she doesn’t actually need boon focus just to cast Heal? She “unlocks access” to heal because of her Creation 4? Also, what limits the number of starting Boons?

1 Like

Gotta jump out of the mindset of DnD here.

There are no limits. Instead, you have to roll to succeed on Boons, and as a result you can do it more often.

In DnD, heal and spells succeed when you cast them, attack spells in DnD have to beat the AC or Saving Throw.

In OL, boons do not auto-succeed without Boon Focus, and attacks still have to beat a defense. There are no limits to the amount of Damaging ATtacks, Bane Attacks, or Boon Invocations you can do. However, Action economy is very important in OL, and most combats are designed to last only a few rounds.

1 Like

what are already told you would be the only limit:

The only limits to what you can access are based on what you choose b/c of your character backstory or what the GM feels is appropriate for your character.

Open Legend is all about self-limitation or the limitations of the Setting/Campaign, which is usually encouraged to not be much.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I will hang out in the discord room when I get home from work…cannot access here. At any rate, I’ve taken too much of your time. I will examine the document you linked and re-examine all the site listing again. I hope the book is more detailed than the site’s basic knowledge. Forgive my being stuck in the mire, I’m 37 years into the DnD mindset.

-Sal

1 Like

the book has all the same information that is on the website, but has additional artwork in it. The rules are 100% free on the website, then you can get the PDF with the artwork if you purchase it.

Eventually an updated SRD PDF will be made available, which will have all the updated rules that are on the website, but minus some of the descriptions and minus the artwork of the paid PDF.

Lots of peopel have come over from DnD and get surprised/shocked/confused at first. No worries, and the community is pretty helpful.

2 Likes

So, where does one get the book & PDF?

1 Like

You can get order them through Backerkit at the moment, doing so will get you instant access to the PDF, though the physical book may take a while as they’ve had some shipping issues.

Remember of course that the rules will always be free on the website, but the PDF has been nicely formatted and has some cool artwork and helpful examples. :smile:

1 Like

Let me just add that https://heromuster.com dont have all the rules but rly good for browsing feats, boons, banes and other theory crafting tools :slight_smile:

1 Like

To answer the original question:

“If I have Creation 4, and wish to use the Heal boon on myself AND 2 party members 10 feet away, can i do this?”

Yes, you can, and in a number of ways:

1. Multi-targeting as mentioned. You get disadvantage 1 x number of targets, so 3. As your character has the Boon Focus feat in Heal at level 1, they get Advantage 2 in any multi-target attempt. These cancel against each other leaving you with a Creation roll of Disadvantage 1 to Heal all 3 of you in one go.
  2. Area Targeting: If you can pack the group in tighter, (or maybe get them lined up?) You can use either an Square, Cone or Line to catch all of you. Squares and Cones get Disadvantage 1 per 5’, while a Line gets Disadvantage 1 per 10’ (and does not have to be straight, can segment…). In this case same as above figure out how much Disadvantage goes against your 2 Advantage for the Boon Focus and make the roll.
  3. Aura: So useful, yet so neglected, the aura boon could turn you into a healing beacon, automatically bestowing the heal boon on anyone within 5’ of you (At Creation 4). As your companions are 5 feet away, you would have to get closer, but as you are radiating a boon it affects you as well, and will AGAIN next round as long as you use a minor action to maintain it.