Open Legend Wiki is Here!

Hello Everyone,

You might have seen it alluded to in a few posts from in and in replying to a few others. I hope to have the wiki fully launched and ready for submissions by the end of the year.

I had someone approach me and offer to host the wiki site itself so we wouldn’t have to worry about being bogged down by annoying ads.

This is a great thing, however, it does mean I have to do some additional work to get it fully ready by adding certain extensions and “plug-ins” to the default MediaWiki format. This is delaying things just a little, but overall shouldn’t be an issue.

What can the Community do to Help?

Right now the main thing I’m doing is creating tools to make posting easier and guidelines to follow when posting so things will be helpful.

There will be a lot of things to manually enter in still, such as the individual Feats, Boons, Banes that exist as Core Rules. I’ll do as many of these as I can on my own, but there’s a lot of copy/pasting and such that would happen. For the most part, only the “SRD” content will be directly transcribed, with links back to the website, which from what I can tell based on the Old-outdated SRD is mainly everything except Pictures and Art. When the official up-to-date SRD comes out, and we find any of that changes, we can update the SRD accordingly. Though as the wiki isn’t designed to make money in any way, I don’t think it will ever be an issue.

What is the Main Purpose of the Wiki?

The main reason/purpose is to collect Homebrew or House Rule additions from people to share, and especially Characters and Items and NPC/Creatures. The last two are the biggest, NPC/Creatures and Items!

This way people can find things and get ideas for something to use in their games.

How will the Wiki be organized?

Well, it’s a Wiki, so that can evolve and change as it goes. Mainly, for all content, there will be “Core Rules” and “Homebrew” categories to help organize.

Beyond that, there will be resource pages to help find content creators and people who have made modules for Open Legend, and things like HeroMuster.

Within the “Core Rules” sections for everything, there will be additional entries to add to explanations and FAQ about the Feats, Boons, Banes, Perks, Flaws, and others.

So I look forward to launching it as a compendium of information for people to freely add to and provide to the community in a more structured and organized way. It shouldn’t need too much moderation, but once I get it up, with my travel schedule, it will be hard to keep everything in line, so I’ll probably look for a few people from the Community to help be “admins” or “moderators” on it just encase there are problems that arise.

The Wiki will require an account to post and edit, though not to view. And setting up an account is free of course.

So, Coming Soon! Just the backend work is being done (things like “infoboxes” for characters and items to do “quick glance” of information for example).

UPDATE EDIT: 2018, April 13th

The WIKI is live

https://www.openlegendwiki.com

How to add pages

You need to register. You can read all you want, but to actually contribute, modify, edit, or add, you have to simple register an account.

How to Register

In order to keep out bots and their spam, there is a question you have to answer. There are several it can randomly pick, but they should be easy to answer if you aren’t a bot.

You’ll also have to answer these questions when you make a post. Eventually I’ll have it setup where you can be added to a group and not have to do that for an edit or post, but it is just further bot/spam protection for an initial user.

I can’t get registered/post/edit

1. Make sure you validate your e-mail
  2. Make a post here to let people know, or mention it on the discord

_______ is missing from the Wiki

Make sure that is actually true. It’s possible the categories aren’t fully updated, or an item/page is missing the category tag.

We just had a mass update of information to the wiki in an automation process that filled in all the Core Feats, Boons, Banes, Perks, and Flaws. So some of it is slowly updating to the categories, but it should all actually be there.

How to add a page

Use the https://www.openlegendwiki.com/Create_New_Page as it has templates that will auto fill in the page for you and make it easier to continue to fill in information.

Be Kind

It’s new, there’s probably things forgotten, things needed, or editing needed. There will be more pages added later, things explaining how to format and guidelines. I’ll do what I can on that end while I’m traveling, but really anyone can do that too. It’s a gift for the community, by the community.

16 Likes

Some cutting n pasting I can do (a hundred years ago I did desktop) so if that’s any help, I can throw a few hours in to help the community.

2 Likes

The great Old Ones have heard my prayers!

Just grab me on Discord (I’m there more than here) and send a PM explaining what to do, and I can do a bit a few days a week and help whittle down the work :slight_smile:

I’ve had such pleasure from this game I’m more than happy to spend a bit of time helping out where I can.

The WIKI is live

https://www.openlegendwiki.com

How to add pages

You need to register. You can read all you want, but to actually contribute, modify, edit, or add, you have to simple register an account.

How to Register

In order to keep out bots and their spam, there is a question you have to answer. There are several it can randomly pick, but they should be easy to answer if you aren’t a bot.

You’ll also have to answer these questions when you make a post. Eventually I’ll have it setup where you can be added to a group and not have to do that for an edit or post, but it is just further bot/spam protection for an initial user.

I can’t get registered/post/edit

1. Make sure you validate your e-mail
  2. Make a post here to let people know, or mention it on the discord

_______ is missing from the Wiki

Make sure that is actually true. It’s possible the categories aren’t fully updated, or an item/page is missing the category tag.

We just had a mass update of information to the wiki in an automation process that filled in all the Core Feats, Boons, Banes, Perks, and Flaws. So some of it is slowly updating to the categories, but it should all actually be there.

How to add a page

Use the https://www.openlegendwiki.com/Create_New_Page as it has templates that will auto fill in the page for you and make it easier to continue to fill in information.

Be Kind

It’s new, there’s probably things forgotten, things needed, or editing needed. There will be more pages added later, things explaining how to format and guidelines. I’ll do what I can on that end while I’m traveling, but really anyone can do that too. It’s a gift for the community, by the community.

7 Likes

If you need a hand with anything… I’m happy to help as well

2 Likes

You can just join the Wiki and write away if you want :smiley:

A quick reminder that if you want to comment on a page, you can do so by opening the “Actions” menu and going to the “Discussion” page.

For the discussion pages, please make a new header for every new discussion you want to start.
Remember to add your signature via ~~~~ at the end of every post.

Here’s an Example:

== Topic 1 ==
Write about your topic here ~~~~
:reply to something like this ~~~~
::this keeps going by adding more colons each time you decend ~~~~
:this is a reply to the original post ~~~~

== Topic 2 ==
... ~~~~
1 Like