Open Legend Google+ Community

Just so everyone knows, there is a Google+ community for Open Legend (I’ve heard Google+ fosters some really excellent RPG communities) but I don’t have time to moderate or keep up with it. If any of the @admins or someone who is a trusted community member wants to moderate and try to resurrect it, let me know and I can make you a moderator.

https://plus.google.com/communities/116025814133466218786

1 Like

I don’t know whether or not I qualify as “trusted” yet, but I would be willing to moderate. That said, do you specifically want the Google plus community revived, or is this more like “since it’s there, anyway…”? It feels a bit redundant to me, with both this forum and discord. Is the goal to engage users who wouldn’t join a new site but are already on Google?

2 Likes

That’s a great question. I think starting these communities are always about “going where the people are”, so for people who lack the ambition to add themselves to YET ANOTHER network (e.g. this community.openlegendrpg.com site).

But that being said, I think there is value in having a Google+ community, but perhaps the added value is not worth the extra work for you. Know what I mean?

For what it’s worth, you’ve had plenty of positive contribution and interaction to be considered “trusted” in my eyes.

So, “TBD” is the resolution, I suppose. I just know I’ve heard alot about people with very active Google+ communities. Not sure how or why it’s different than Facebook, Discord, whatever.

2 Likes

Not sure how or why it’s different than Facebook, Discord, whatever.

@brianfeister One major differentiating factor is the ability to easily share images or link stories and post it naively via the Android device that most of us own (and I am sure iOS has increased its integration with google services as well). Posting is a simple press of the “share” button and reduces the barrier for sharing things related to Open Legend.

I could assist in moderating if needed or wanted, but the amount of “OC” that I generate is rather low.

EDIT: For example, this is the only forum for discussing Open Legend that I use. I abhor Facebook, don’t use Twatter, etc, but I will occasionally share interesting things that I find to the limited people connected to me on Google+

2 Likes

“OC” is what? Original content? Anyway, I think we should just establish a core group that’s large enough that wants to commit to moderating that community and helping nurture it a bit. If we do, we’ll add it under “Resources” on the home page, pin some notes in important places, post about it on Facebook, Twitter, and Discord.

That’s what I did with Discord and the Community site, distribute the load across a large enough group so that no one feels crushed by the burden.

Sounds like we’ve got 2 volunteers so far, let’s see if any more come in.

2 Likes

Yep, original content.

2 Likes

I’m far more active on Facebook and Discord. The new forums are good too, but Google+ is a bloody nightmare to deal with.

That being said, Google+ integrates well with google docs and the google.sites format. That alone might be a good reason to resurrect it, for user created content (i.e. Homebrew stuff)

3 Likes

I was thinking about this today. Personally, I keep all my game notes on Google docs, and the integration really is nice. Given that OL is great for homebrew, this is worth considering.[quote=“brianfeister, post:4, topic:184”]
But that being said, I think there is value in having a Google+ community, but perhaps the added value is not worth the extra work for you. Know what I mean?
[/quote]

@brianfeister, my question wasn’t really motivated by the workload involved. Personally, I think OL is something special, and I’m happy to contribute. I was more looking for what the (initial) goal and focus is intended to be.

3 Likes

I’d be willing to help contribute. While Google+ isn’t amazing on iOS, i do use it regularly to keep in contact with the Fantasy AGE community.

To help showcase a Google wiki site, I’ll post the FAGE Google Wiki pages below. Its AMAZING for what we’d like to do.

1 Like

@ConradCurtis thanks boss! <3

Thanks @Carl – yeah, I don’t have a goal in mind, just reaching out to and engaging more users where they already hang out. Until a platform is created that effectively unifies the streams of all these disparate social media outlets, It’s just about “going wide” in terms of covering various outlets.

So again, it might not be the right thing to do now, since one might argue that’s not a great impetus for ramping something up.

1 Like

Slo, @brianfeister – does this mean there is a possibility for a more “formalized” community page/site down the road? if so, that’s an incredibly exciting prospect.

1 Like

I did some searching around on G+ Communities for RPGs. I see lots of groups with one person posting and getting only a few +1s out of hundreds of members. There were a couple of exceptions, and maybe I didn’t hit on the right combo of words to see more active places (rpgs, role playing games, dungeons and dragons, pathfinder, eclipse phase).

It’s important to focus the eyeballs to where we want them to go (here and Discord), rather than further spreading out the audience.

We can go into Google + Communities and lead people here, if the G+ Community allows such a thing.

I did run a Google+ community for a local group, and had a much smaller base of people to work with. Ultimately, Facebook was the best platform for that group and G+ never picked-up any real traction.

So, unless our audience all jumps over to G+, I believe it is not a thing to do right now.

1 Like

Well, the Google+ group for Fantasy AGE is moderately active, but that is also for a game that’s spread across their own Official Forums, Facebook, and Google+.

@dclasair I think one of the issues is a lack of our OWN pushing of the Community page and Discord. I’ve got membership to a good dozen or so forums, and maybe we as community members need to be more aggressive in our promotion of these two mediums.

Personally, I find the Discord Servers great for “on the fly” questions, and this Community page great for finding deeper, more permanent answers and discussion.

Not really. I was talking about some big rival company building out a platform that allows you to view the various social media stuff you want in one unified place.

Yup, I’m not thinking I’ll do it. I’m mainly sitting here waiting for someone to say “OMG, I do all my RPG interactions via Google+ community sites and it’s amazing!” At which point I’m not going to say “Oh, excellent, let’s do that!” … rather I’ll see “Oh, excellent, I’ve been waiting for someone to explain this to me, I’ve heard rumor of it. Can you break it down for me”

1 Like

@brianfeister the one thing I found nice about Google+ (and something I think would be worth looking into in the future) is that it has a good Notification system for mobile devices. Not as crazy as Discord (which has the issue of EVERY conversation being pinged on your phone) but something that lets you know when threads you’ve commented on/subscribed to are responded to are done.

Something like that would be nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes