Ok, so I’m pretty terrible at organisation. I plan my campaigns in Onenote files and keep everything documented but when it comes to actually running games I usually jot down the plot hooks in bullet points and the stats for any NPCs the party might encounter on a session-by-session basis.
This is fine until I need to find the stats of an NPC that came up five sessions ago and then it all falls apart. Now I don’t want a big chunky folder or notebook with tons of tabs - I know this works for some people but I don’t like flipping through pages of content while playing and I don’t like doing the same with my Onenote folder either. It slows down the game and I usuaully end up spacing out and overlooking the one bit of information I need.
So my solution - NPC Index Cards. I bought some A6 card on amazon and made myself a mini-character sheet template. As NPCs crop up, I’ll write up their stats, keep them handy in a plastic tub and take them out before a session starts so their stats are always on hand.
I thought others might benefit from this so I’m sharing on here, feel free to download my template and print it for your own use. I had hoped to make it single-sided but unfortunately if I scaled things down much more they’d become illegible.
I wanted to just get the essential information, I intentionally missed out attribute levels because I thought they were unnecessary and it saved space, if you know the dice you know the level.
– Guard, Toughness and Resolve are abbreviated to keep it looking clean.
– Boons and Banes are put in a single ‘actions’ panel.
– Description (or notes) and feats go on the back.
– Since the character sheets are printable, you can fill them in with pencil and adjust NPCs stats as the player progress or tweak things that aren’t working.
The ‘example character’ is just some nonsense I threw together as I went, I just wanted to fill in some of the boxes to show scale and legibility.
- Example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/erp5fl5rq0h7igo/20171209_220810_HDR.jpg?dl=0
- Example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xejzau4mvxmcl20/20171209_220736_HDR.jpg?dl=0
- Page 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e16zocg6vgcosya/A6%20Character%20Sheet-01.jpg?dl=0
- Page 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rc1ehufne1i7qw/A6%20Character%20Sheet-02.jpg?dl=0
Any suggestions on improving them is welcomed, if I’ve missed anything vital let me know, I’d be happy to update the design if other people find them helpful.