New bane idea "feedback"

This is my new bane called feedback, so tell me what you think so I cab improve it. PS if you have good wording for the description and effect I would be happy.

Feedback
Duration: Resist ends (3 × Fail = 1 minute)
Power level: 2/6/8
Attack Attributes: Entropy, Influence, Protection
Attack:
• Entropy vs. Toughness
• Influence vs. Resolve
• Protection vs. Guard
Description
Direct other peoples pain to another(placeholder)
Effect
Make someone take damage when they deal damage
• Power level 2 take 1 damage when you hit another creature with an attack or bane
• Power level 6 take 1/3 damage(min. 3) when you hit another creature with an attack or power level of the bane inflicted +1(min. 3) when you inflict a bane
• Power level 8 take half damage (min.5) when you hit another creature with an attack or power level of bane inflicted +2(min.5) when you inflict a bane

2 Likes

so a couple of suggestions.

1. if you are trying to make the opposite of Life Drain, literally just do that. Take out all the tiers and have half the damage feedback to do the target damage.

2. the min damages seem wonky and I would just take them out. It could be just the wording and you meant something different by it, but forcing it to be a certain amount of damage makes it a lot more powerful.

3. For the bane thing, instead of the PL of the bane, just have it based on the attack roll.

I think I have a possible re-wording that would make that clear, getting some things together and I’ll take a swing at it.

1 Like

Alright, so below the two ways I would approach it, the first I like better b/c simplicity

##Backbiter (or feedback)
Duration: Resist ends (Fail x3 = 1 minute)
Power Level: 6
Attack:

• Entropy vs. Toughness
  • Influence vs Resolve
  • Protection vs Toughness

Description
Causing the worst Karma, technological malfunctions, or an aura of reverse protection, the target is forced to lose their own life force if they choose to harm another’s life force.

Effect
Upon a successful attack roll, the affected target takes half (rounded up) the amount that exceeded the defense score as damage to themselves. This damage automatically bypasses the afflicted character’s defenses, but can be reduced by any resistance to damage of a certain type (see the resistance boon). The original attack still goes through.

For example, Zoom the Eleven is affected by the Backbiter Bane. They go to inflict Blinded on a target, rolling a 23 Energy vs 16 Guard, successfully inflicting Blinded. However, they take a total of 4 damage (23 - 16 = 7, divided by 2 = 3.5, rounded up is 4) to their own HP.

##Backbiter (or feedback)
Duration: Resist ends (Fail x3 = 1 minute)
Power Level: 4/6/8
Attack:

• Entropy vs. Toughness
  • Influence vs Resolve
  • Protection vs Toughness

Description
Causing the worst Karma, technological malfunctions, or an aura of reverse protection, the target is forced to lose their own life force if they choose to harm another’s life force.

Effect
Upon a successful attack roll, the affected target suffers damage to themselves determined by the power level of the bane. This damage automatically bypasses the afflicted character’s defenses, but can be reduced by any resistance to damage of a certain type (see the resistance boon). The original attack still goes through.

• Power Level 4 - 1 damage for every successful attack roll
  • Power Level 6 - quarter (rounded up) the amount that exceeded the defense score as damage
  • Power Level 8 - half (rounded up) the amount that exceeded the defense score as damage

For example, Zoom the Eleven is affected by the Backbiter Bane at power level 8. They go to inflict Blinded on a target, rolling a 23 Energy vs 16 Guard, successfully inflicting Blinded. However, they take a total of 4 damage (23 - 16 = 7, divided by 2 = 3.5, rounded up is 4) to their own HP.

those would be my suggestions, but again, I favor the first one with just 1 PL more. When you are already halving damage, unless you have a big explosion, it won’t be very big to begin with.

3 Likes

I like the suggestion that bane attacks also trigger the backbite/feedback damage. It makes it useful against a larger variety of enemies.

I just did the quarter and half to be there, and half of a half is usually faster/easier for people to figure out in their minds than a third.

reason for PL 4, so you gotta have a little more investment in an attribute.

I do like the simplified version more, I was looking for something like that. Another approach for that would be using a boon instead.

Wording is not perfect and is only a basic idea!

Thorns
Invocation Time: 1 Major Action
Duration: Sustain Persists
Power Level: 5
Attributes: Alteration, Energy, Entropy, Protection

Description:
Growing thorns on your skin, covering your body in ice or having an energy shield that reflects attacks, attacking you doesn’t come without it’s cost.
(something like that)

Effect:
Whenever you’re damaged by an attack, deal half (rounded up) of the damage dealt to the attacker.

Special:
Depending on how you use that boon, certain types of attack might not be affected, e.g. growing thorns on your body might damage melee attackers, but ranged attacks are not affected by it.

Does seem a bit powerful like that. Maybe increase the PL, well it’s just an idea for now.

a retributive barrier idea is fun for a boon, but in this case the creation of the bane was specifically to have a framework for a cursed weapon, at least that was the purpose behind the OP (though not stated here, but it came from the discord chat).

However, if a boon like you described, the boon itself would do the damage instead of “reflecting” the damage, so I’d have a roll like P.Dmg does, or Barrier with the damaging type.

2 Likes

The second version sounds really interesting. Do you think it’ll ever be added to the official banes? (Either way I think I’ll use this every once in a while :smiley: )

very doubtful to be added officially. But the whole point of Open Legend is for people to create stuff like this.

I"m not sure how balanced it would be with other banes.

Also forgot that something needed to be added to the special section potentially for it. Hmmm… Now I’ll have to look to try and remember what it was

this wasn’t it, but this probably needs to be in there:

If an attack roll targets multiple foes, the target of this bane takes damage based on the total amount over the defense of all targets.

or something. Don’t know you really need it or not, but yeah.

The other thing is potentially that upon resisting the bane, they are immune to subsequent attempts for 24 hours… not sure that one is needed for this bane, but maybe via Influence specifically.

I’d go with the tiered version Great_Moustache linked. Mostly because it is a bit more balanced. Since it’s requires more investment. I’d say for multi attacks treat it much like the special rule that Life drain boon uses where it is the sum total of all attacks, Except when at PL4 where you just count the number of attacks making the math easy.

Had a thought for a boon based off the same idea, where you can take some of the damage a target is taking.

Transference

Action: Major Action
Duration: Sustain persists
Power Level: 4/6/8
Attributes: Entropy, Influence, Protection
Description

Either by forging a psychic connection, divine prayer or sharing blood, you link yourself to target(s), choosing to take some of the damage they take.

Effect
Any time the target(s) of this boon suffer damage, you take a measure of that damage instead. This damage automatically bypasses your defenses but can be reduced by resistance to damage. This boon automatically ends when are reduced to 1 HP.

• Power Level 4: You take 1/4 of the damage taken
  • Power Level 6: You take 1/2 of the damage taken
  • Power Level 8: You take 3/4 of the damage taken

Note: You can affect multiple targets with this boon.

2 Likes