Mental & Social Focus Feats

I noticed a distinct lack of feats for Mental and Social Foci and I have propsed these as rules:
Mental Focus
Cost: 3 points

Prerequisites
Tier 1: Learing, Logic, will or perception1
Description
You have a trinket or another item which helps you memorise, perceive and etc

Effect
Choose a single item, and specify the attribute that your logical focus relies upon: Learning, Logic ,will or perception. When making attribute rolls using your chosen item, your attribute is considered 1 greater for the purposes of determining attribute dice. Your attribute is not changed for purposes of feats, banes, boons, or similar items.
While you do not have this item you suffer disadvantage 1

Social Focus
Cost: 3 points
Prerequisites
Tier 1: Deception, persuassion or presence
Description
You have an object like an instrument, lucky rabbit’s foot or something else that assists you in lucky or social situations
Effect
Choose a single item, and specify the attribute that your social focus relies upon:Deception, Persuasion or presence. When making attribute rolls using your chosen item, your attribute is considered 1 greater for the purposes of determining attribute dice. Your attribute is not changed for purposes of feats, banes, boons, or similar items.
While you do not have this item you suffer disadvantage 1

I did a dumb and forgot to do social foci

Mechanically, there’s nothing wrong with this, but narratively it’s a bit strange. I’d be happy to allow my players to use this if they can explain how it works.

Keep in mind that a focus is not just an aid, it’s something that you can’t effectively use the attribute without. You could possibly have something like a computer expert who can work out anything as long as they have their laptop, but a book isn’t really a valid focus for Learning because that doesn’t make sense for the vast majority of subjects.

Social Focus is probably even harder to justify. Maybe a particular item that grants you confidence for Presence, but a hat that makes you persuasive would be a hard sell.

1 Like

I disagree that a Focus is necessarily something a character can’t do without. That might be true for Extraordinary Focus, but for Martial Focus a character is just much better with it.

I’d suggest basing such a Feat on Martial Focus rather than Extraordinary Focus anyways, so that while the character doesn’t have the Focus, he’s not completely blind/idiotic/rude but rather less adept.

An example could be a lucky trinket that, while not being too special in itself, gives the character a sense of confidence and/or security.
A mask is something that might be good for Deception or the ring of a dead loved one gives a character the Will to accomplish great deeds in their memory.

Thanks for your input

Edited it done