Initiative when switching equipment

I want some clarification on the rules regarding initiative real quick.

Weapons can either have the Swift, or Slow or neither as a property. These 2 properties grant you advantage 2 and disadvantage 2 to initiative respectively when you draw or commit to drawing them as your weapon of choice when combat ensues.

However, a character can have multiple weapons to switch between with a minor action, or as a free action with the help of the Fast Draw feat.

The rules doesn’t have anything written on it regarding what happens when you switch weapons.
So what’s stopping a character from drawing a weapon with swift to gain advantage on initiative only to then switch to a slower more powerful weapon as soon as possible?

Does everyone have to re-roll initiative every round? (Which is annoying and slows down combat)
Do you have to re-roll initiative when you switch weapons? (Which can still be somewhat exploited to give you good initiative if you just keep switching until you get a good roll but most likely this will never happen and is pretty improbable and is equally as likely to give you a worse roll anyway.)

Just a little confused as to how to handle such a situation since I have no idea how I’d rule this as the GM if this rather rare situation would ever come up.

(Left this system a couple months back when I finally got my hands on a copy of the D&D 5e rules but now me and my group want to go back and play in this system again! So now I’m taking the burden to re-read and refamiliarize myself with the rules. I might have just missed a thing, things might have changed when I left… I might have ruled this some way before but now I’ve forgotten. I dunno, all I know is I want some clarification.)

1 Like

roll initiative once, that’s it, never again!

That’s the rules, yes it could technically be exploited by switching weapons, but that is also what the GM is there for. If a player keeps doing it, and it is making things UN-FUN at the table, then say they can’t do it anymore. That’s what the GM is there for.

If it isn’t ruining anyones fun, then I wouldn’t worry about it.

1 Like

this is the case for surprise, initiative doesn’t change after surprise, it is locked in once it is rolled and ordered (non-surprised before any surprised). You don’t re-arrange the order after the first round.

O-oh…
That’s it? What an awfully convenient and simple answer.
Well thanks!
I’m just gonna let them switch weapons as they please until I impulsively decide “that’s enough switchin’!!!” huehuehuehuehue.
Maybe limit it to once every 3 rounds or something so there’s at least a rule if it gets out of hand since no one in my group likes constantly changing rules.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean, if a character is built around changing weapons, then I’m all for it, but in most cases it doesn’t really serve a purpose in OL. Not that it can’t. Can see it more for an extraordinary crafter.

Hey, when rolling for initiative I make my players choose the weapon they intend to use for the first round or surprise round and that determines what swifts and slows they get :slight_smile:

If they have Weapon out but plan to draw a new one first turn I let them use the the new ones Swift/slow but lock them to that weapon for the first turn.

hope this helped ::slight_smile: