Inflicting banes using Movement

Hey all :slight_smile:

So I’m starting a game soon and one of my players is making a rogue.

At the moment I just have a proposed character sheet, but I’m discussing things with her tomorrow. She has a few banes listed to carry out using Movement (slowed, disarmed, and immobile). Whilst the bane’s descriptions list movement as able to carry out those banes, I can’t quite figure out how? Would this be more about using the telekinetic side of Movement (which I don’t think is how she’s using it)?

Thanks

It all depends on the character and how does it use this attribute. Movement can be a lot of things: from teleport, accelerating your movement to telekinesis.

Thanks :slight_smile: So do you have an example of how to inflict slowed, disarmed or immobile using movement if your character doesn’t do it magically?

I can see haste for a non-magical character as them sort of focusing, like a monk using ki or something, but I’m struggling to non-magically use it to inflict any of those banes. Maybe touching pressure points or sdomething, would that come under movement?

The descriptions and explanations can be almost endless, the only limit is what you think makes sense in your world as a GM. The player should tell you how they think they’re doing it, and you can say yes or no based on how well you think the explanation fits; you shouldn’t be coming up with explanations for them.

Yeah, I know, she’s just really new to tabletop RPGs, and I want to go with some ideas rather than just “no, that would be agility”, if you see what I mean

Let’s suppose that Rouge has been skilled in manipulating nerves by precise pressing them. It cause muscles to move as it wish, for example pressing a point on wrist makes hand open and, as a result, it drops held weapon. Hope I helped :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

I think I’m starting to see them now and work it into my brain, really appreciate the help :smiley:

I can get behind that. You can maybe get closer to what she wants from her character by questioning it a bit without having to outright demand the explanations up front.

The character’s Agility is obvious in what it represents, but what does her Movement represent? Is it her knowledge of nerve clusters and pressure points, as suggested above? Is it sudden bursts of seemingly impossible speed, allowing her to attack in ways that would usually be incredibly difficult in the chaos of combat? Or is it telekinesis or time magic or any other supernatural effects? No reason why a rogue can’t know some magic in Open Legend after all. Both you and she should have a good idea of the kind of thing that she might roll that attribute for outside of combat and with no banes involved, and that should help you with deciding which abilities make sense and which do not.

1 Like

Perfect, that’s really hepful advice :smile: Thanks!

Using movement gives some range on the banes, if you want it to be non magical reasons I’m thinking like throwing poison shurikens, needles or similar. Note these are pretty just there for flavour so I would argue your character don’t have to spend time on getting and making them.

A well placed rock can do a lot of different things to a person aswell

1 Like

There’s something I like to say my players when they think attribute-first instead of narrative-first: “Okay. How does that work?”

Engage your player. Ask her how it works. You may have to toss out ideas, but that’s fine. They can serve as springboards or simply be there to prompt the player to reveal her own ideas for how her character works. The important thing is that they establish narrative permission for how the character works mechanically, but they should also be fun and fit with the setting.

Of course, you don’t have to take just anything. When my players go a bit of course, I redirect them by suggesting tweaks to their ideas that will bring them more in line with my vision for the game. It’s a collaborative process.

What’s great about this technique is that it creates a positive feedback loop. When players see their ideas get taken and incorporated into the game, see that they have a hand (even a small one) in world building, they’ll naturally start contributing more things on their own accord.

1 Like