[House Rules Boon] Glyph like Boon

Hello,

one of my player wants to make Glyph magic in a game of my friend. But not classic use, he wants to trigger a spell on condition and stick his glyph on object.
We didn’t find something to do that, so with my friend we created a Boon and also extend this boon for traps.
We take inspire in Arura Boon and Barrier Boon.

I have to point out the boon is just the container of the spell (or attack like darts).
It’s quite big because we wanted to list condition triggers and additional effects. The lists are not closed of course.

Enjoy yourself.

Trigger

Duration: Sustain Persists

Invocation Time: 1 Major Action

Power Level: 3/5/6/7/9
Attributes: Alteration, Creation, Energy, Entropy, Influence, Movement, Prescience, Protection, Learning, Logic

Description
You trace a magic glyph, work on a trap which contains a spell or a system that will be activated on specific conditions.

Effect
When you invoke this boon, you must use multi-targeting to create a specific area of effect to define the space of your trigger. The player must specify what will be the triggered action, the attribute attacks, banes, boons, feats and multitargeting involved. The triggered action must use the same attribute that you used to invoke Trigger. The maximum power level for this action is the power level of your trigger. The character must have the possibility to execute the action (access to boons, banes, points in attributes and feats). Upon successful invocation, choose a number of available triggers and effects for your Trigger based on your power level:

• Power Level 3 - Take 1 condition, and up to 1 more condition or additional effect.
    Available conditions : Creature base, Item base, Remote control
    Available effects : Countdown
  • Power Level 5 - Take 1 condition, and up to 2 more conditions or additional effect.
    Available conditions : Creature base, Item base, Remote control, Specific creature, Specific item
    Available effects : Invisible, Countdown
  • Power Level 6 - Take 1 condition, and up to 2 more conditions or additional effect.
  • Available conditions : Creature base, Item base, Remote control, Specific creature, Specific item, Group base
    Available effects : Invisible, Countdown, Swap attribute, Entity sticked
  • Power Level 7 - Take 1 condition, and up to 3 more conditions or additional effect.
    Available conditions : Creature base, Item base, Remote control, Specific creature, Specific item, Group base, Action base
    Available effects : Invisible, Countdown, Swap attribute, Entity sticked, External content
  • Power Level 9 - Take 1 condition, and up to 4 more conditions or additional effect.
    Available conditions : Creature base, Item base, Remote control, Specific creature, Specific item, Group base, Action base
    Available effects : Invisible, Countdown, Swap attribute, Entity sticked, Auto-alimented, External content

Conditions:

• Creature based: The action stored in the trigger is released if any creature enter the trigger area.
  • Item based: The action stored in the trigger is released if any item enter the trigger area.
  • Remote control: The caster can take a Minor Action to release the action stored in the trigger.
  • Specific creature: The action stored in the trigger is released if a specific creature (or type of creature) enter the trigger area. (ex: Elminster, elf, blond …)
  • Specific item: The action stored in the trigger is released if a specific item (or type of item) enter the trigger area. (ex: Durandil sword, a dagger with a ruby …)
  • Group based: The action stored in the trigger is released if a group of specific creatures and items enter the trigger area. (ex: two dwarfs / drizzt, wulfgar and bruenor with the magical crystal shard …)
  • Action based: The action stored in the trigger is released if a specific action is made in the trigger area. (ex: a specific creature became hostile, the sword is taken from the stone ….)

Additional effect:

• Invisible: Enemies have disadvantage 2 in perception check to spot the trigger.
  • Countdown: After the trigger’s condition is activated, the action stored in the trigger is delayed a number of turn specify at the creation of the trigger. The max delay in turn is equal to the power level at which this boon has been launched.
  • Swap attribute: The action in the trigger can be from another attribute than the trigger invocation attribute.
  • External content: During the invocation of this boon, another character can use his next major action, if he is in range, in order to fill the trigger with an action he can make. You are still limited by the power level and the attribute of the trigger.
  • Entity sticked: The trigger is cast on a movable item/creature, the area of the trigger is center on the item/creature.
  • Auto-alimented: When the triggered glyph cast a boon on the target and the boon must be sustained, the effect last three rounds instead of one.

Special:
When you cast this boon, the cast location must be in your casting range. When you sustain this boon, the glyph sustained can be out of your casting range.
When the triggered glyph cast a boon on the target and the boon must be sustained, the effect last one round.
When the character use a minor action to sustain a trigger, he can sustain an additional Trigger per tier of boon focus (Trigger).

6 Likes

@brianfeister, could you please provide me your opinion about this boon ? Balance, wording, maybe ideas.

I’m still not sure about the name, I’m french and find shades for names is pretty hard for me. I thougth about another name, Trap.

Of course, if you want to add it as core rules on the site, please feel free to use it. I will be proud to help this great game.

Same goes for my other post about items.

@Nupryn thanks so much for all your hard work and effort in creating these supplemental rules!

Unfortunately, we’re going to see less of me on the community site as I need to go into a dark cave and work very hard without being active here or on Discord and emerge on the other side with a glorious tome of completed Core Rules & Amaurea’s Dawn Campaign Setting. The Core Rules are locked and we won’t be adding anything else to them, other than some thoughts already rolling around in the back of my mind. This is FAR too complex to consider adding to Core because it would need to be tested and we’ve missed the deadline for that.

/cc @moderators I’m going to be almost completely unavailable for weeks.

3 Likes

Make it so :vulcan_salute::expressionless: capitaine

1 Like

Thanks @brianfeister for your answer and good luck for the last rush.

Anyway, yes, it asks a lot of tests to do on it.
Love to have some insigth from everyone.

Regards.

1 Like