Heroic Fortitude Check Example

Looking at the example success with a twist listed for the heroic fortitude check, it seems to me that this is actually an example of failure but the story progresses.

Although this is an awesome example of a way to handle the player missing the CR, I wouldn’t call it success with a twist. The following text is in the section on interpreting failure but the story progresses:

It seems to me that this is the same concept listed in the fortitude example. I propose something more along these lines for success with a twist:

Thoughts?

1 Like

I think the twist here is that the cure has been found, but there’s now a quest required to gather it.

It is perhaps problematic (/cc @Ish) that the two examples seem to define the same exact scenario in the two different categories.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter which it is. If the GM makes a ruling so that the roll still matters, who cares whether it’s success with a twist vs failure but the story progresses?

That said, this whole concept is pretty unique to OL, so having consistency in terminology around it within the SRD would be helpful.

Yep. Totally agree. I really like the change that @Carl suggested, too! Let’s go with that.

3 Likes

Since you’ve implemented a fix, closing now.