Converting D&D 3.5

So I’ve been looking into use the Open Source engine to play old school 3.5, so I’ve started with converting the Player’s Handbook. I’ve started with Feats, and moved to spells, and then eventually Abilities (racial, etc). What I need help with is just ,“Balance” the way I’ve set it up.

Each level you gain 30 points-
(These are the feats and costs, [some feats still keep their required feat restrictions])
Feats
(Skill Buff Feats-5)
ACROBATIC
AGILE
ALERTNESS
ATHLETIC
DODGE
DECEITFUL
ANIMAL AFFINITY
ENDURANCE
DEFT HANDS
DILIGENT
INVESTIGATOR
NEGOTIATOR
PERSUASIVE
NIMBLE FINGERS
SELF-SUFFICIENT
STEALTHY
SKILL FOCUS

(Reduce Equipment penolties-5)
ARMOR PROFICIENCY(LIGHT)
ARMOR PROFICIENCY(MEDIUM)
ARMOR PROFICIENCY(HEAVY)
EXOTIC WEAPON PROFICIENCY
MARTIAL WEAPON PROFICIENCY
SHIELD PROFICIENCY
TOWER SHIELD PROFICIENCY
SIMPLE WEAPON PROFICIENCY

(Ranged Bonus Feats)
POINT BLANK SHOT 10
PRECISE SHOT 10
MANYSHOT 20
RAPID SHOT 20
SHOT ON THE RUN 15
RAPID RELOAD 5
DEFLECT ARROWS 25
FAR SHOT 10
SNATCH ARROWS 15

AUGMENT SUMMONING 10

BLIND-FIGHT 15
CLEAVE 10
GREAT CLEAVE 25
COMBAT CASTING 10
COMBAT EXPERTISE 20
COMBAT REFLEXES 25
POWER ATTACK 25
SPRING ATTACK 15
STUNNING FIST 10
TWO-WEAPON DEFENSE 10
WEAPON FOCUS 15
TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING20
WEAPON SPECIALIZATION15
WEAPON FINESSE 15
WHIRLWIND ATTACK 20
GREATER TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING 15

CRAFT MAGIC ARMS AND ARMOR 30
SCRIBE SCROLL 30
BREW POTION 20

EMPOWER SPELL 25
SPELL FOCUS 20
ENLARGE SPELL 20
EXTEND SPELL 25
HEIGHTEN SPELL 20
MAXIMIZE SPELL 35
NATURAL SPELL 10
SILENT SPELL 15
STILL SPELL 15
WIDEN SPELL 25
QUICKEN SPELL 15
SPELL PENETRATION 20
ESCHEW MATERIALS 20

DIEHARD 20
IRON WILL 15
LIGHTNING REFLEXES 15
MAGICAL APTITUDE 15
MOBILITY 15
RUN 20*
TOUGHNESS 15
GREAT FORTITUDE 15

RIDE-BY ATTACK 15
SPIRITED CHARGE 20
TRAMPLE 15

TRACK 10

IMPROVED BULL RUSH 20
IMPROVED COUNTERSPELL 10
IMPROVED CRITICAL 30
IMPROVED DISARM 20
IMPROVED FEINT 10
IMPROVED GRAPPLE 20
IMPROVED INITIATIVE20
IMPROVED TRIP 20
IMPROVED PRECISE SHOT 30
IMPROVED TURNING 10
IMPROVED SHIELD BASH 10
IMPROVED UNARMED STRIKE 15
IMPROVED SUNDER 15

Spells-----
Obsecuring Mist 10
Wind Wall 15
Gaseous Form 25
Air Walk 20
Control Wind 15
Chain Lightning 15
Control Weather 10
whirlwind 25
Elemental swarm 35
Calm Animals 10
Hold Animal 15
Dominate Animal 30
Summon Nature’s Ally1 15
Summon Nature’s Ally2 20
Summon Nature’s Ally3 20
Summon Nature’s Ally4 20
Summon Nature’s Ally5 25
Summon Nature’s Ally6 25
Summon Nature’s Ally7 25
Summon Nature’s Ally8 25
Summon Nature’s Ally9 30
Commune with Nature 15
AntiLife Shield 10
Animal Shape 20
ShapeChange 35
Protection From Law 10
Sonic Vibration 10
Magic Circle A/law 20
Chaos Hammer 15
Dispell Law 15
Animate Objects 15
Word of Chaos 25
cloak of Chaos 20
Cause Fear 10
Death Knell 15
Animate Dead 20
Deathward 15
Slay Liviing 30
Create Undead 25
Destruction 35
Create GreaterUndead 30
Wail of the Banshee 35
Inflict light wounds 15
Contagian 15
Inflict Critical Wounds 25
Inflict light wounds,Mass 35
Harm 20
Disintegrate 35
EarthQuake 15
Implosion 35
Magic Stone 15
Soften Earth and Stone 15
Stone Shape 10
Spike Stones 15
Wall of Stone 20
StoneSkin 25
Ironbody 25
Desecrate 10
Unholy Blight 10
Blasphemy 25
Unholy Aura 20
Burning Hands 10
Produce Flame 15
Resist Energy 15
Wall of Fire 20
Fire Shield 15
Fire Seeds 25
Incendiary Cloud 35
Aid 10
Holy Smite 10
Blade Barrier 20
Cure Moderate Wounds 20
Cure Serious Wounds 25
Cure Critical Wounds 30
Heal 30
Ren=generate 30
Cure Critical Wounds, Mass 40
Heal Mass 40

So If you could just give me your thoughts on how Balanced it is so far. :grinning:

Are you… on the right Forum?

If you are, do you mean the Open Legend system?

If the answer to both questions is “yes”, would you describe in a little more detail what you are attempting to do?

This sounds like an absolutely massive undertaking, and I’m not sure exactly why you’re bothering. If you want to play D&D 3.5, you can just use the original rules; if you want to play Open Legend, why are you trying to change almost everything that makes it different? If you could give us a little more detail, then our very helpful community might be able to assist.

• What is your end goal here? Are you trying to continue an old campaign, or completely rebuild Open Legend?
  • What are the important things you need to use Open Legend for?
  • Which parts or D&D 3.5 are you trying to bring across?
  • What exactly is the problem with the existing rules for either system?
  • Why use this points system instead of the levelling method found in either system?

If you could get back to us with some answers to these questions, then I’m sure there’s something we can do to help.

1 Like

I think they might have the wrong forum as well, since “Open Source engine”.

I belive I’m on the right forum, I saw the first topic saying content adaptation and that is what I’m trying to do.

As for what I’m trying to do, is convert Feats and spells over to using the feat points system in OpenLegend.

I’m trying to bring D&D closer to Open Legend, by attempting to remove alot of the ,“Class Restrictions” on many Feats/Spells/etc. Aswell as utilizing the Feat points system. This is where I’m starting, I do play on converting most of 3.5 to using the same Point system. I just wanted to free up more customization and versatility into a Game based around Role playing.

I’m thinking of changing to use leveling because it makes balancing much easier then using the point system by itself, But I won’t be completely removing classes, as they will still keep everything else (Stat changes, known skills, Hit-dice etc) and they still will give certain spells and feats at certain levels, as to keep the choice of Class meaningful.

I didn’t want players to do so much class jumping to make the character they want.

(I mean have you seen some Character make ups, 1 level of Cloistered Cleric, 1 level of Wizard, 2 levels of Fighter… [This is the build for a Arcane Archer]Well the first 4 levels)

Okay, I’m understanding what you want a bit better now, but unfortunately I don’t see us being able to help. Open Legend is extremely different from D&D, and while I appreciate that you’re trying to bring it closer to OL your conversion is a bit beyond the kind of content adaptation we’re able to assist with. Even your points system is so different from OL (which only has 3 costs for feats, based on how regularly they can be used, and no costs at all for “spells”) that we can’t really comment on it.

Specifically, what you’re saying here:

makes it sound like the only thing you’re really borrowing from Open Legend is the feat points system (which OL didn’t invent, nor is it really the point of the system). If I’m wrong, feel free to correct me, but it sounds a lot like you’re trying to change D&D to have feat points rather than trying to change Open Legend to have D&D feats and spells.

I’d recommend that you find a D&D forum to help you with this. People there will know more about the feats and spells and how to balance their costs. You’ll have an easier time explaining the feat points system to people who know about D&D than trying to explain that enormous list of feats and spells to people who sort of know how to do a feat points system. I’m sorry we couldn’t be of more use to you, I hope you come back to OL one day and give the game a try as it is.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.