Artisan Perk doesn't fit with updated Crafting Feat

I’ve been playing a creation-based character who uses the Craft Extraordinary Item feat to brew potions. At the time I created it, the rules for the feat involved making a creation roll to determine if you succeeded in making the item. However, this has changed. The new rule now requires no roll, only varying time spent, and wealth level depleted. I like the new rule better, but the artisan perk, which I used with it, has not been updated to suit it.

Artisan
Choose a specific craft, such as gunsmithing, glass blowing, or brewing. You know the ins and outs of crafting goods of the highest quality within your chosen specialty. As a master craftsman, you are able to create items of exceptional value given the necessary time and materials. Furthermore, whenever you are performing a task in which your crafting skills would play a role, you gain advantage 1 to any action rolls that you must make.

Is the Artisan perk meant to work with the Craft Mundane/Extraordinary Items Feats, or replace it? As it stands, the perk seems to imply it allows you to craft things without the feat. And with the feat, the perk no longer adds any benefit, as no rolls are required.

To remedy this, one idea would be to make the perk allow you to craft items as if they were one wealth level lower, or in one hour/day/week less time, depending on the wealth level used. Any other ideas of how to make it useful again would be appreciated as well.

Cheers!

1 Like

I don’t believe this is truly accurate. Consider, for example, a former carpenter, now turned adventurer. During the course of her travels, she is marooned on an island. There is a broken boat on the island.

As a GM, I would definitely not require her to have the Craft Extraordinarily Item feat in order to attempt a repair. Furthermore, this seems to be a situation where her carpentry experience is relevant. She should therefore receive advantage on any roll to repair that boat.

3 Likes

I believe you mean Craft Mundane

@notsospeedruns as far as what you said. You are assuming that there are never any rolls. This is not true.

the feat states:

your GM will determine the speed at which you craft based on the nature of the item and the materials you have access to.

After the GM tells you how long it will take, you can always say “I want to make it faster” At this point, the GM should say, OK, roll Logic or whatever relevant crafting Attribute you use for your character.

Now whether the Artisan Perk needs something adjusted on it is another question. Perhaps. Something to think about.

@brianfeister thoughts?

2 Likes

I think the only change @Great_Moustache might be to remove “exceptional value” as it muddies the water and suggests you can perhaps automatically create “high wealth level” items. The reality is that you can make what might be called “masterwork” items (D&D terminology), but that item is not going to grant Advantage on a roll (e.g. can’t access the “Deadly” property from Extraordinary Items).

Increasing your potential crafting Wealth Level would be hugely overpowered @notsospeedruns, so I would advise against that.

The idea (which I realize is not spelled out) is something like this:

• Character with Craft Mundane Item: Crafts Items at Wealth Level (possibly higher)
  • Character with Artisan Perk: Crafts Items (with flavor text non-mechanical benefit of being exceptional quality) of WL 2 or less (doesn’t change with your Wealth Level)
  • Character with both: Can craft high quality items that are “storytelling-noted-for-exceptional-quality” of higher Wealth Levels. As a GM, I would simplify this by also saying that if you want to craft “non-special quality” items, you would shave 25% off the time required to craft.
2 Likes

Should probably say something like

You are a master of a chosen craft, and your reputation goes far and wide. In a time frame decided by the GM, you can craft any mundane item of wealth level 2 or less, if you have access to the right tools. In addition, you are actively sought out by peers who wish to improve their skills. Experts in any field that makes use of the items you create will actively recommend that others seek you out. “You want the best overclocked CPU for that supercomputer? You need to talk to Razul, he’s the best hardware craftsman this side of the Third Sun.”

4 Likes

Updated:

3 Likes

Yes, sorry. I was thinking of extraordinary because that’s what was initially referenced in the original post. The example still stands, though.