Sanity/Insanity Rules

Hi there,

I’ve been working on a Sanity/Insanity system for an upcoming campaign and setting. I wanted to share the first draft of it so that I can get some feedback and critique. Keep in mind, this isn’t the only subsystem that I will design for this campaign and the other two will also tie into the Insanity system, so if you think the effects of the Insanity aren’t harsh enough or a bit lackluster, don’t worry there is more to come. But in the meantime, here is what I have so far:

Feel free to ask questions or comments.

3 Likes

Why is Sanity only dependent on 2 attributes? Wouldn’t it make sense to give it equal power to hit points by adding Will in the equation?
Otherwise love the idea! I’ve been looking for something like this.

At first I had Perception in there to indeed mirror the formula of HP to some degree. The more I thought about it the less sense that made to me, so I removed it.

I have Sanity defined as:

How much agony and pain a person’s mind can handle is represented by their Sanity score, which is influenced by their Learning and Logic attributes, as those aid to process these situations with rational thoughts:

So narratively that wouldn’t fit too well with Will, but I also made that choice because of concerns of balancing, as I didn’t want to become Will too much of a valuable attribute. Note though that Will helps recovering from Sanity damage, so it still factors into Sanity, which puts Will onto the same level of utility as Toughness, in my opinion.

3 Likes