First Crack at an OL Character - Herlock Sholmes

Hi all! First post!

Using the Character Builder over at Hero Muster, I’ve attempted to build a Sherlock Holmes character. Because of Sherlock’s superhuman abilities, I’ve made him level 5.

I have no idea if I’ve made him properly.

Am I allowed to have multiple instances of Attribute Substitution? Does this build make any sense? Is there anything you’d do differently? Have I used all my build points correctly?

(The Hero Muster site isn’t calculating the 10 points for the cost of the Will score of 4 for some reason).

The only other thing I considered was getting Boon Focus for Precognition, but Mind Dredge seems more appropriate for the character, and I have a hard time imagining a Sherlock character without Master Tracker and Well Rounded seems to reflect his breadth of knowledge.

Although, now that I’m looking at it, with the Attribute Substitution feats, would Well Rounded apply literally only to rolls using Presence? If so, dropping Well Rounded and Master Tracker and adding Boon Focus: Precognition seems the right move.

Help me, Open Legend Community. You’re my only hope.

edit: I tried to link to all the Feats, Boons, and Banes, but I’m new and that means only 2 links in a post.

Welcome to the community!

So, first off, yes you can use Attribute Sub more than once, on different pairs. The same Attribute can’t feed or be fed by more than one Attribute. So you’ve got that right.

The weird/nice thing about Open Legend is there isn’t any “wrong” way to build a character or spend points. As long as your totals match up, and they make sense according to the story you’re trying to tell, it’s all good. Remember, Fun > Story > Rules.

Thanks!

Well, by “correct,” I mostly meant had I done my math right.

But, secondarily, I am asking for feedback on the build itself. Part of the reason I wanted to start with an iconic character was so other people had a reference from which to weigh in on other ways to translate the flavor into mechanics. I haven’t spent as much time as I’d like reading through all the character components, so I’m just trying to get more eyes on the whole of it.

So, first off, yes you can use Attribute Sub more than once, on different pairs. The same Attribute can’t feed or be fed by more than one Attribute. So you’ve got that right.

STOP SAYING THAT.

You can only choose a Feat once unless it states under ‘special’ that it can be taken multiple times.

In this case, GM approval can allow this to be taken more than once, but you should only assume you can take it once (b/c even that requires GM approval).

Indeed Conrad, the other guys are right on this. Here is the line you should be looking for at the beginning of the feat descriptions:

If a feat does not have a noted exception it can only be purchased once.

Thanks all. That’s the kind of feedback I was looking for. I’ll rework it.

@ucffool @VanGo too right, too right. I’m so used to “letting things fly” that I often under-interpret RAW :stuck_out_tongue:

@whipstache they are correct. The vast majority of Feats are “one time only”, similar to DnD 5e. A Specials tag will denote if they can be taken more than once.

Also, to clarify, any time you take any feat, Bane or boon, is subject to GM’s approval. Remember, any Attribute, other than Extraordinary Attributes, can be rolled at PL 0 with just a flat d20