Elaborating on Banes/Boons for Extraordinary Items

(originally posted on Mightybell by Emmanuel Papst · March 23 at 5:06pm ·)
Does it mean I get the Bane/Boon for free or do I have to invoke them? And what if I do not meet the prerequisite for the boon?

Great Moustache · March 23 at 11:40pm · (original reply)
Banes & Boons indicate the banes and boons that the item grants access to. The wielder can use the item to invoke the listed bane or boon. The numeric value is used to determine both the power level and the attribute dice used for the invocation roll. The wielder may choose to invoke at a lower power level than that listed, in which case the attribute dice rolled are not reduced. All of the same rules for items with attributes apply, except in this case the granted access is for the listed banes or boons only.

So:

The wielder can use the item to invoke

The numeric value is used to determine both the power level and the attribute dice used for the invocation roll.

The item invokes it, not you. You don’t need to meet the pre-req, the item does that for you.

Great Moustache · March 23 at 11:44pm · (original reply)
Jet Pack Flight 6

Means you get to roll the dice for an Attribute 6 (2d8), and flight is at PL 6

You roll d20! + 2d8!, if you get 20, you invoke at PL 5, if you get a 22 you invoke at PL 6

Power Level 5 - The target gains a flight speed of 10’ with low maneuverability.
Power Level 6 - The target gains a flight speed of 30’ and is highly maneuverable

Now that i think about it, maybe it would be good to elaborate a bit what “low maneuverability” (Flight Power Level 5) entails. Even if its just to get an small reference.

10’ movement vs 30 foot movement.

think it is just flavor here.

possibly a hold over from previous version.

actually making a github post, it was a hold over apparently, just fluff not really needed as it confuses

1 Like