About Invisibility

Hey there! I’m Augusto from Argentina, I wanted to do a little commentary on the “invisible” boon. Before I get to the point I wanted to say that this is my first experience with table top RPG’s and so far it’s been amazing! Great work!! Also I’d like to apologize for my english, but I’ll do my best =)
So, It reads like this:

Effect

Light passes through the target, making them translucent, however their physical form distorts and refracts light in a way that only the keenest sight can perceive. The target gains advantage according to the boon’s Power Level on Agility rolls to hide. If completely still, this bonus is doubled. The target’s Guard defense is increased against melee and ranged attacks, though it is unchanged against area attacks. When making an attack against target’s that can’t see you, their Guard defense is reduced. You cannot be the target of opportunity attacks unless the enemy can see you through non-visual means.

Right now there are a couple of things I don’t quite get from this effect. First, the state of invisibility gives you a clear advantage on hiding (as a minor action), so what I can’t figure out is that you only get this Guard regarding bonuses once you’re hiding? Because It says “when making an attack against target’s that can’t see you”, does this mean once you’re hiding?
Also, I wanted to know how this interacts in NPC/enemy’s turn, do they try to see you or try to figure out your location only if they saw you before or maybe if you make noise/attack them? If this is the case, I know they’ll throw a perception roll, but what would be an appropriate roll to see you (given the case that you’re in fact already invisible…)?

I really like this game and how open it is, but I think that this Boon could use a little more explanation on its mechanics =)

Thanks!!

1 Like

Technically, you don’t have to be hiding for someone not to see you (they could be blinded, for example). However, I think that hiding is the most likely reason when using this boon. Simply being invisible qualifies as an attempt to hide, if you ask me.

My opinion: When the person first becomes invisible, they will roll to hide (with advantage according to the boon). That roll is the target for the opposed perception rolls that other people make to see them. As a general rule, I would call for another opposed roll whenever something happens that could logically impact how well the person is hidden. Here are some examples:

• the person stops moving with the intention of being harder to see
  • the person starts moving after having ruled with the extra advantage for being still
  • the person makes an attack

This is not a full list, and I would not even consider them to be absolute rules. Open Legend places more emphasis on the story than the rules. This basically means to just do what makes sense in the circumstances. You also don’t want to be asking for so many rolls that it slows the game down, especially if this is during combat.

Anyway, good question, and welcome to the world of tabletop RPGs!

3 Likes

I think @Carl covered it pretty well. But basically, the idea is that we don’t specify quite so many rules because of the “Every Roll Matters” principle in Open Legend. Because of this rule, it will often be the case that an Invisible character will simply not be noticed because they are Invisible. So determining whether you’re seen or not comes down to an opposed check (where the Advantage from the boon effect comes into play).

But it should also be common for you to not be seen at all… automatically.

In the situation where someone is actively looking at you when you invoke the boon, you would roll Agility to attempt to hide. But if no one is looking at you, I would say that since the boon makes you invisible and no one is around to notice, then you’re automatically hidden.

I would only ask for a roll if it’s important – maybe the Invisible character gets stuck in a very small room with an enemy who can hear their breathing or footsteps.

Perception would be the roll to notice you, regardless of whether they saw you before or not.

Long story short - whether you are seen or not is decided by circumstance, what makes sense for the story, and the GM. The rules don’t attempt to cover all the possible situations because it would be a very long list and it can never be complete. Storytelling has to be about everyone in the group (GM and players included) working together to tell a great story.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tabletop RPG’s! :heart:

5 Likes

Thanks!! Such a good game! We’re having tons of fun =)

1 Like