Kickstarter: OL Fantasy Bestiary

Moved this from uncategorized to npc/creature resources

1 Like

I feel like you might have a hard time getting backers for this because of the fact that this book is set to print almost a year later after the kick stater ends. In the kick stater make sure to quickly explain what open legend is and link to the website / free rules. Our favorite game will get more advertisement. And I also believe this will help your kickstater because not lots of people know what open legend is. Once they check it out they might be like yes I want monsters for this system.

I’ll link to Open Legend on Kickstarter, great idea. :slight_smile:

It’s a year later because the artwork needs to be drawn and book completed; it’s a short deadline as it is for so many monsters because we don’t have dozens of people working for us, we are a group of 3 people.

Perhaps make one of the stretch goals an earlier publication date. This is a problem you can solve with more money, so give backers an incentive to pledge more - and hopefully not have to wait a year.

That’s generally a bad idea, because something can always come up, which might delay any release and so there is no way that you can guarantee a publication date.

1 Like

a year for a first time book writer ( i believe) sounds about right. If you have done other work linking to those would be a good idea so others can see your work. Even unofficial work would be nice. I would also want to see at least one monster stated up on the kickstarter. So we can see your designs for stat blocks and such. Anyway good luck with your kickstarter campaign, I can not say weather I will or will not chip in at this time but do hope for the best.

The Kickstarter will have 3 different examples of monsters (kobold, kraken and hag, to be exact) so that people can see how will the rest of the book generally look.
I have unofficial work I’ve already done; I’ll be sure to link that on Kickstarter. Here it is in case anyone is interested (it’s for 5e D&D, though, so not really useful for OL): http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1Wr4bX7FZ
I won’t make the earlier publication date a stretch goal because, even though it is possible, that might mean that we won’t have enough time for revision of the book, which is always a bad idea IMO.

The Kickstarter itself is ready to go, we’ve finished everything up. Due to some tax double checking and complications, we’ll open the bank account for it on Monday and Kickstart on Tuesday.

2 Likes

Good point. Didn’t think of that. I just want this book NOW! :wink:

UPDATE:

Due to our legal entity backing off at the last moment (we’re in Croatia), we are unable to start the Kickstarter.
The book will still be a full bestiary of 200 monsters as promised, complete with lore and tips. Unfortunately, due to the lack of Kickstarter funds, we will be unable to commission the artwork we wished to put in the book. I hope that the lack of artwork isn’t too much of a deal breaker!

We’ll likely look for playtesters (stat blocks only) somewhere around June this year so that we can make revisions while working on the remainder of the monster lore.

Happy gaming everyone!

1 Like

that’s a bummer was looking forward to the kick stater.

I was as well. At least we have the cover art that we paid for, which will bw official for the book.

As stated, we’re working on the project nevertheless, and will post updates to this site, so there’s that.

Thats good to hear keep up the good work. Who knows its still a year away maybe thing will work out and you can find a new artist or lawyer or whatever happened. im not smart in the ways of production lol.

Update:
We’re still working on the book, and are in the work of fleshing out lore at the moment. If you wish to:
a) support the book,
b) gain access to behind the scenes, basically participating in the development of the book, giving us feedback in real time,
Then support me on Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/LukaVodanovic

Cheers!

3 Likes

Some excerpts from the book so far:

Happy gaming!

6 Likes

We’ve been a bit more invested on the project due to our free schedules lately.

The playtest of the Bestiary is fully complete, 100 monsters ready for your game. We’ll post it in a few days, so keep an eye out. The Indiegogo campaign for if you wish to support the product will be posted as well. Happy gaming!

7 Likes